Folk Music Analysis 2019
Welcome to the 9th International Workshop on Folk Music Analysis
The 9th International Workshop on Folk Music Analysis was held from 2-4 July 2018 at Birmingham City University, Birmingham, UK. This International Workshop brought together researchers from the fields of ethnomusicology, musicology and music information retrieval (MIR). It provided a forum that encourages sharing of ideas, needs,research methods and discoveries, among ethnomusicologists, musicians, librarians, students, museum curators, computer science experts and music information retrieval researchers. The aim was to foster cross-disciplinary collaborative networks and the development of new interdisciplinary tools and techniques that promote an enriched understanding of traditional musics and the preservation/dissemination of world musical cultural heritage.
FMA2019 was jointly organized with the AAWM Special Topics Symposia 2019: Computational Approaches to World Music Analysis. There was a special focus on fostering collaboration between researchers from different disciplines.
Workshop topics include:
- Computational ethnomusicology
- Computational musicology
- Computational analysis systems for non-western and folk musics
- New methods for music transcription
- Empirical approaches to music
- Models of oral transmission of music
- Cognitive modelling of music
- Aesthetics and related philosophical issues
- Methodological issues
- Representational issues and models
- Audio and symbolic representations